A newly-formed group of academics, the Assembly for the Defence of Democracy (AFDD), where after a few days of starting a fan-page on Facebook, got nearly 200,000 likes, says protesters’ calls for a people’s council is pure fascism. The AFDD said it opposed the proposal by the university presidents group to install an interim government, saying such moves are unconstitutional and undemocratic. Piyabut Saengkanokkul, an AFDD and Nitirat member, said the idea of setting up a people’s council comprising members of various professions was an idea inherited from fascist corporatism, as seen in Italy during the period of Benito Mussolini‘s fascist dictatorship. Mussolini, Mr Piyabut said, amended the law in 1928 so his government could comprise people from different fields. This government was an important mechanism that ultimately led Italy into a totalitarian dictatorship, he said. “Imposing only their own values and replacing the people’s elected government with an elite- and middle-class-nominated ‘people’s council’ would only pave the way for bloodshed and violence,” said Mr Kasian. Tejapira, a core AFDD member and Thammasat University associate professor of history, said. The AFDD said no one should support the “fascist” people’s council demanded by anti-government protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban. The group made the call alongside members of Thammasat University’s Enlightened Jurists Group, known as Nitirat, on Constitution Day yesterday. It marks a stark contrast to views expressed by the Council of University Presidents of Thailand (CUPT) and Mr Suthep’s own group, the People’s Democratic Reform of Council (PDRC). The AFDD said it opposed the proposal by the university presidents group to install an interim government, saying such moves are unconstitutional and undemocratic.
- The Assembly for the Defence of Democracy, established less than 24 hours ago, gets over 100,000 Facebook likes (thaishortnews.wordpress.com)
- The global community should support those battling extremism in Thailand (leftfootforward.org)
- Foreign Ambassadors to Thailand, rejecting Fascist Suthep’s call to meet him, slap Suthep in the face? (thaishortnews.wordpress.com)
- Fascism: Abhisit’s Dems Fascist attempting to take control of Thailand (thaiintelligentnews.wordpress.com)
- Assembly for the Defence of Democracy (asiapacific.anu.edu.au)