Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin, who staged the 2006 coup, said the proposed political reform assembly is a good way to help end the political conflict that is dividing the kingdom. Yingluck has proposed a brain-storming forum, to be developed as an assembly, to reforms and develops Thailand democratic process. Gen Sonthi said he would participate in the assembly. A former army chief and leader of the September 2006 military coup, said the reform assembly offers room for all parties to discuss ways to resolve the ongoing political dispute for the benefit of the country, reports Bangkok Post, a pro elite establishment and anti democracy newspaper in Thailand. It was too early to say whether it would bring about national reconciliation, but was the best way to attempt to settle the problems besetting the country and all sides should work together to put to an end to political turmoil, he said. Asked about the government’s invitations for former foreign leaders and others with experience in conflict resolution and mitigation to address the unity forum, Gen Sonthi said it was a good idea to get feedback on Thai politics from the international community. The former chairman of the coup-makers’ Council for National Security said he agreed to be a member of the House committee scrutinising MP Worachai Hema’s amnesty bill because the draft legislation has similarities to his own proposed reconciliation bill. Gen Sonthi said the amnesty bill was backed by the Pheu Thai Party and therefore a representative of that party should chair the scrutiny committee.
- Will Yingluck include “Grade A” people into her cabinet re-shuffle? (thaishortnews.wordpress.com)
- Red Shirts Put Thaksin, Govt on Notice as Amnesty Bill Heads to Parliament (irrawaddy.org)
- Yingluck’s Pheu Thai Party faults “Conspiracy Against Thai Rice” for Thai rice problems in global markets (thaishortnews.wordpress.com)
- Yingluck poised to to incorporate “Grade A” people, but will she push the “Go” button? (thaishortnews.wordpress.com)
- Yingluck’s Pheu Thai Party asks if major flood hit, who will take responsibility (thaishortnews.wordpress.com)